Egypt - Is It Safe?

Discussions on Egypt

Postby fitzy on Mon Oct 11, 2004 13:24 pm

hi there. whats anyones opinion on traveling to sharm since the trouble at taba last week. were booked to go at the end of next month
fitzy

Postby swisssinai on Mon Oct 11, 2004 21:11 pm

I have lived on and off for almost 19 years in Egypt. During that time there have been earthquakes, floods, and terrorist attacks. I was in Nuweiba last week when the bombs went off in Taba and in two camps between Nuweiba and Taba. I am in Cairo today but shall drive back to Nuweiba with my wife after tomorrow. I have always felt safe, and still do, and I would not take my wife with me if I thought there was any risk whatsoever.

I could never have imagined that there would be an attack in Sinai - and I believe sincerely that it was a one off attack. The Israeli authorities warned about a specific threat one month ago ( which we just could not believe at the time ) and although they are saying that Israelis should stay in Israel for the immediate future ( Israelis have always felt safer in Sinai than in their own country ) they have not issued any new warnings.

These attacks were directed specifically at places frequented by Israelis, although as the Taba Hilton was filled with guests from many different countries a cross section of nationalities and religions were killed.

The main Israeli holidays are now over and it is commnly believed that there will be no further attacks.

It was a sad and horrible experience for all of us. Our beloved Sinai, which we term Land of Peace and Harmony, was violated. It leaves us bitter and angry. But we now look forward to the future with hope.

Come join us and feel the warmth of the people.... don't let the terrorists win !
swisssinai

Postby elaine28 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 20:44 pm

HI THERE, MYSELF AND HUSBAND ARE ALSO VISITING EGYPT NEXT MONTH - IN FACT 2ND TIME THIS YEAR WE WERE AT THE TABA HILTON IN MARCH FAB HOTEL AND REALLY FRIENDLY STAFF CANT BELIEVE WHAT HAS HAPPENED THERE. WE WILL BE IN SHARM NEXT MONTH IS THE SEA STILL WARM AND WHAT IS THE DAY-TIME TEMP - WE HAVE BEEN TO EGYPT EARLY IN THE SPRING AND NOT AT THE END OF THE YEAR CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT WEATHER IS LIKE IN NOVEMBER.
elaine28

Postby swisssinai on Tue Oct 12, 2004 21:37 pm

The weather at night shall be a little cool, at daytime pleasant and the sea should be around 23 degrees centigrade.

Glad to see you are coming back !
swisssinai

Postby chris2 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 15:49 pm

Hi

I am going to Sharm in November and was wondering if people still thought it was safe to go after recent events.

I am also staying at the Beach albatros hotel and have heard a few not so good reviews of the hotel and was wondering if anyone had stayed there who could get in touch and tell me what they honestly thought of it.

and if the weather is still good in early november - just wondering if i really need to pack my bikini or if jumpers would be a better idea

Thanks

Chris
chris2

Postby HW Techie on Wed Oct 13, 2004 18:04 pm

Hi Chris,
welcome to Holiday Watchdog.

You can find reviews for the Beach Albatross here...

http://www.holidaywatchdog.com/660-Shar ... eview.html

HW Techie
HW Techie

Postby swisssinai on Wed Oct 13, 2004 21:40 pm

You might look a bit silly wearing a jumper on the beach - suggest you stick to a bikini unless you're a guy.

I have nt stayed at the hotel but usually the Beach Albatros hotels have a good standard product especially when concerning food that will be more than adequate as long as you do not expect too much.

The hotel rooms are old and tired but the beach is sheltered from any wintery winds so you should be able to enjoy yourself and have a great time.
swisssinai

Postby heeton on Fri Oct 15, 2004 13:39 pm

Thanks for the info on the security issues swisssinai. I am going to sharm on the 4th of next month and was a wee bit worried. Looking forward to a good holiday.

thanks again.
heeton :salut:
heeton

Postby Looby on Wed Oct 20, 2004 23:02 pm

Hi - picking up on the security issue again. I am due to go to Sharm next week and this will be my first trip to egypt. I read these posts shortly after the bombings and was reassured somewhat, though still a little nervous.

Since then the the Foreign office suggests the risk of further attacks in the area is high but unless they say "don't go", tour companies will not refund.

Has anyone just come back? What was the atmosphere like? Has it affected the freedom of tourists at all?

:scratch:
Looby

Postby fitzy on Thu Oct 21, 2004 19:18 pm

thanx for your views on saftey.we have stayed at the taba and neweiba hiltons last year. really upset about the taba hilton as it is a wonderful place if you just want to chill out.staying at the beach albatross in sharm in november. would like to hear from anyone who has stayed there.
fitzy

Next

Return to Egypt Forum