Help worried about how much spending money we will need?

Discussions on Florida

Postby angelcaz1 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 16:07 pm

We are going to florida in may and worried about how much money we will need. I have already got tickets for disney,discovery cove , sea world, bush gardens, and aqutia, so it is just a guide on how much we would need for food etc. their will be 2 adults and a forteen year old. we will eat out for most meals. every one says it is cheap once you are their. we havent been before so are a little unsure any help would be great thanks
angelcaz1

Postby HW tenpin on Sat Apr 05, 2008 16:18 pm

Having 'done' the States many times we always allowed $50 per day per person.

However going by a recent trip I would say prices have risen sharply, so I would now say $60/65 per day.

Take as many dollars as can can afford $travelers checks are good, better to change them back when you get home rather than not have enough, after all its your holiday.

Point! There are cash machines available, but most banks make a withdrawal charge.

I personally think that sometimes this is worth it, if running short.
Cruising is like 'Being in the Garden of Eating'

Cruise-Forum.html

Link to cruise forum
HW tenpin

Postby angelcaz1 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 16:20 pm

Thats great thanks its just trying to work out how much to set aside for food etc
angelcaz1

Postby HW tenpin on Sat Apr 05, 2008 16:27 pm

Short answer for the States is $ for �.

Plenty of eating places with fixed menu prices, look out for all you can eat places like 'Sizzlers' or some Ihops (pancakes)

Recent price for AYCE 'Sizzlers' in Virginia was $11 for breakfast & $15 for lunch/dinner.

Cruise-Forum.html

Link to cruise forum
HW tenpin

Postby carole2000 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:07 am

You also need to remember that all the theme parks charge you about $10 to park for the day and when in the parks the cost of food and drinks is much higher. The cost of fuel has also increased although still nowhere near as much as the UK! You can fill a tank on an average car for about $50. Also, when you're shopping the price on most things doesn't include the sales tax, so when you get to the till this is added on. The dollars, even with a good exchange rate, do seem to spend very easily!
carole2000

Postby jackieblack on Tue Apr 15, 2008 19:45 pm

We've just returned from Florida.
We (two adults and a 12 year old) allowed $100 per day for food.
We had a good breakfast, bought snacks for during the day and bottled water in Wal-mart, bought ice-creams in the parks.
we ate a main meal in the evening outside the parks (Sizzler, Ponderosa, Golden Corral, Steak houses etc).
We didn't feel hungry during the day as we had snacks (fruit, cookies, cereal bars etc) and drank loads of water as it was so warm.
We didn't buy alcoholi drinks, I don't anyway and husband did most of the driving.
We would have bought about $200 home with us except our flight was delayed for 3 hours so we had a meal and shopped at the airport!

Hope that helps.
jackieblack

Postby HW tenpin on Tue Apr 15, 2008 20:19 pm

You done well Jackie.

Hope you had a great holiday,
I wasn't sure how much inflation had affected prices over there since we were over in April 07. It's good to get up to date replies. Thank you.

Cruise-Forum.html

Link to cruise forum
HW tenpin

Postby jackieblack on Tue Apr 15, 2008 20:40 pm

Thanks Tenpin

We had a wonderful time - but then I don't think it's possible not to there!

The main difference we noticed in prices (since April 2006) is fuel, it's about $3.30 a gallon at the moment, but that's still much cheaper than here!
jackieblack

Postby angelcaz1 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 17:12 pm

Thank you this is great when youhavent been before it all helps thanks again carol
angelcaz1

Postby spchil on Mon May 05, 2008 17:27 pm

I was just reading this, and I live in Florida and the price of living has gone up ALOT of heresince last year. the gas is up to around $4.00 now you can find it cheaper but in Orlando it is going to be hard. and the price of food is going up alot too. i just took my fam out to eat for dinner at Golden Corral and that is me, my husband and my 7 year old and it was $70 after the tip and all. so i would diffently think about bringing extra so you dont run out, and with there being so much more to do i am sure you will find somehting else like the dinner and shows that they have. they are pretty pricey too. but i hope you have fun while you are over here and right now the temp is in the high 80's. i hope this helps you out.
spchil

Next

Return to Florida Forum