Best Resort in Menorca

Discussions on Menorca

Postby cosmicbabe on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:47 am

Hello,

Also as we have never been to Menorca before, can anyone recomend a good resort on the Island? Preferably with the nicest stretch of sandy beach/clear water and restaurants for a couple.

Many thanks!
cosmicbabe

Postby dobbie1958 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 16:49 pm

Hi Cosmicbabe

We go to Cala Galdana in Menorca. It's a sheltered horseshoe bay with a gently shelving sandy beach and is surrounded by pine clad cliffs! The views are breathtaking and there are also stunning clifftop walks to several other wonderful beaches called Cala Mitjana and Cala Mitjanetta on the one side on the bay and Cala Macarella and Cala Macaralletta (I think I spelt that ok?!) The resort also has lots of bars and restaurants, with the hotels providing entertainment in the evenings that you can view for the price of a few drinks even if you are not a guest in that hotel! We rent a villa and the views are magical!
dobbie1958

Postby donchet on Wed Apr 18, 2007 09:48 am

Hello Cosmicbabe
If you go in high season forget Cala Galdana - although it's beautiful it gets very crowded on the beach with three large hotels around quite a small bay. Son Bou is my favourite with 2km of really nice sand backed by sand dunes and a wildlife haven reed marsh behind. The beach can only be accessed from either end and most people with families don't walk too far and there's plenty of open space in the centre including a naturist area. Second choice would be Santo Thomas where the sea is shallow and safe for young children, Son Bou can be accessed from one end with a twenty minute walk and a really unspoilt beach at the other end protected by a large island where the sea is generally calm and warm. No car access so again plenty of space for everyone after a pleasant walk. Must visit the restaurants around the harbour at Villa Carlos (I think it has been renamed since). Go for it. it's the only place we go back to time and again.
Don C
donchet

Postby butterfly21 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 pm

But dont look for signs for Villa Carlos as it was renamed Es Castell about 10 years ago! Lots of the names of towns have changed in the last few years from the English names back to the original Spanish names. The harbour in Es Castell is lovely, but the resturants are quite pricey, head to Bar Espana which is one of the best restuarants on the island and the prices are really good!
butterfly21

Postby cosmicbabe on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:28 pm

Thank you for the replys! We have seen 2 villas in Calan Porter and 1 in Binibeca, but i think we might go for Calan Porter - has anyone been there? were a couple in our twenties but really want a relaxing beach holiday with nice restaurants as we love eating out and were gona hire a car so we can see the whole island!

Claire
cosmicbabe

Postby eeyore on Wed Apr 18, 2007 21:56 pm

Last year we spent a week in Cala n Bosch and loved it, we were looking for a fairly quiet resort that was geared up more for couples and families with very young children, there was a nice small beach almost opposite where we stayed and the marina was behind our apartment complex. All the restaurants were around the marina with a few bars amongst them, along with some shops and supermarkets. There was a very regular bus service (plush coaches), into Cuitadella, from there you could get a bus to other parts of the island,we had heard its a very easy island to drive round too. Cuitadella is a nice town, old architecture, nice tapas bars, great shopping (loved the shoes) and the harbour area was lovely, with bars and restaurants along one side against the old wall/rock face, hope this helps with planning your trip.
eeyore

Postby sharonwatson on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi I go to Punta Prima in Menorca it is by far the best resort I have been to many round the island. There is a lovely selection of restaurants & bars with beautiful views over the beach, the beach is lovely here it is really long & there are lots of little wee quiet bits as you walk further along the shore. My partner & I are in our later 20's with too young kids & this is just the place to go for a lovely relaxing holiday.
sharonwatson

Postby liangryan on Tue May 24, 2011 14:12 pm

Menorca is a relatively quiet island with stunning beaches. There are also some great clubs in Menorca to visit. Before going to Menorca, travelers must select the best beach resort there as per their liking. Cala en Porter beach in Menorca is quite well developed resort with good amenities. The beach is at short distance from the resort and one of my favorite places to go.
liangryan

Postby firesnow on Wed May 25, 2011 15:01 pm

Close friends to me where there and they recommend Menorca hardly to me. Can't tell you more, but judging by their reaction it's great place for ur vacation.
firesnow

Postby Aaron Sneddon on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Holiday village Menorca, read this review and make your mind up!

Ants coming out of wall sockets, mozzies coming through air vents, pool surface is permenantly slippy, pirate trip was a joke and surface jaggy and dangerous for our kids to walk accross. Photos available of our experience, shocking.

Worse, no complensation after I fell all the way down the stairs whilst I was stone cold sober simply making my way to the pool area in the evening for wifi, the surface is so slippy round the pool that even when it is dry, it is slippy.

Complaints team handled it dreadfully, absolutely shocking. No compensation or discount vouchers were offered after complaining officially through after travel support, nothing, yet at the bottom it has "We hope you will consider us for your future holiday plans".

Absolutely no chance whatsoever, i will never darken the doorstep of Holiday Village Menorca again, our whole experience was dreadful apart from the resort staff who were wonderful, aftercare is a joke and so is the facility.

Gym was dirty and old, equipment rusty.
Aaron Sneddon

Next

Return to Menorca Forum