Diamond Resorts International /DRI

Won a free holiday? Suspicious? This is the place for you!

Postby kingdobe on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:40 am

There as been a lot of posts on here concerning Sunterra/GVC i know it's not popular to stick up for timeshare,but i will since the purchase of Sunterra by DRI there as been a complete change of management plus the way the product is sold.
There was in the past things done which were not acceptable but hopefully those days are gone.
The investment into a points based system is NOT FOR FINANCIAL gain its for future holidays of which i enjoy the benefits of hence my support of it.

Barry
kingdobe

Postby kingdobe on Tue Feb 26, 2008 15:41 pm

Hi Willself the original cost of joining DRI is quite steep but it is a long term investment in holidays.
first point min points required is 4000 to get a week's holiday but not at peak season 8000 is what's required to get a weeks holiday at peak season.
2 DRI as a large selection of resorts around the world which you can swap your point for holidays for.
3 to exchange outside of DRI they use a affiliate which is II (interval international) which costs �99 have not used that side so cannot comment on it.
4 Week owners can swap there weeks but that part is not tied in with the points system but they can exchange there weeks for points but it cost a lot to do it,obviously they than become point owners and nolonger week owners.
The resorts which are owned by DRI are currently being bought back up to specification after the previous management let them go.
I fall into both camps week owner as well as points i much prefer the points system.

Barry
kingdobe

Postby kingdobe on Tue Feb 26, 2008 18:29 pm

To be brutally honest it's a damn difficult system to explain but once you've used it a few times it's simplicity itself.
One thing i missed out was the half point scheme which within 59 days you can get a holiday lets say it costs 4000 points you get for 2000 etc,which we used to great effect last season,you have got to be flexible though.
One of the major criticisms you read is no availability because people leave it to the last minute to try to get into the most popular resorts,hence you try to explain book a year in advance than your more or less guaranteed the place in the sun.

Barry
kingdobe

Postby FullMonty on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:33 am

I think there is little doubt that the new management of DRI are trying to do things better.

However there are still some provisos.

1. How easily can you get rid of it? Is it possible to stop payiing annual charges ever?

If you want to sell is there an open market value and how does that relate to what you paid?

2. How is it sold? How much of a cooling off period is there?

Do they use agents? How are these agents monitored? LCI springs to mind since they operate under DRI's ATOL licence.

3. Why do sales pitches have to last so long? Soes it really take two hours to explain the system?
FullMonty

Postby kingdobe on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Hello Full Monty i have read your posts on various sites so i will not attempt to persuade you of the benefits of membership of DRI,Willself as answered most of your points fully.
The presentation takes a long time for them to totally explain the system which is complicated,ours lasted nearly 4 hrs by which time the youngest was starving and they provided a free meal for us and free drinks at Wychnor Park Country Club,i asked every question that i could think of which they answered honestly plus gave us a rundown of how to get the best out of the system.
You can sell on the open market check ebay but you can only sell to other members which as far as i am concerned is not a problem.
LCI was tied in to the previous owners of Sunterra so if you have proof that DRI are now using them than i will contact the powers that be for a explanation of why they still use them.

Barry
kingdobe

Postby FullMonty on Thu Feb 28, 2008 00:58 am

The fact is that once you have bought you are locked into it and you have no way of escape except to someone who has already got some points. Name another product to which that applies. Imagine buying a car and the only way you can get rid of it is to sell it to someone who already owns one! Finally we know how much they are worth - look on ebay.

It is not popular to stick up for timeshare because many timeshare companies are economical with the truth. Take most threads in this forum. The same applies to firms that sell holiday points, selling timeshare is regulated, selling holiday points isn't at the moment.

LCI use ATOL 4160 which did belong to Sunterra and now belongs to DRI. So yes there is a link. LCI will say they are ABTA registered, they
aren't. They will tell you they are a travel agent. They aren't.

If there is a holiday for free (�34.50 or whatever) why don't they just send the details through the post?

They tell you they want you onto your premises because that is the way they market their wares and they want you to come back and tell people what a great time you have had. It is nonsense - they want to get you onto their premises so they can give you the hard sell on the holiday point system and that's why it takes four hours. No holiday system is that complicated!! Of course if you escape and take the holiday and then you manage to get one at a time and a place to suit you - they make it compulsory to go through another hard sell,

That is disguised as a "presentation" and may last all day according to some people.

Now explain to me why, having gone through a four hour explanation of the system once you now need to go through another one abroad? It is not an explanation of how the system works - not for four hours it isn't, it's a hard sell. And it's a hard sell because the product is not a good one and few people would buy it otherwise .
FullMonty

Postby kingdobe on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi FullMonty as i said previously obviously this version of time share is not for you.The point is they send you on holiday you stay in a great resort (we stayed at White sands beech club),so obviously there is a payback hence the presentation but even you have admitted DRI as changed the way they go about selling the product so what i have heard but not witnessed but never had anyway is no hard sell after the presentation unless you know otherwise.
You keep mentioning the fact you cannot sell on the open market but this way DRI have control over who joins the club,i was unfortunate to go on one of those newspaper breaks we left after one night there were kids running around swearing playing football very late at night underneath signs saying not to,and when you approached the parents there reply was there on holiday.If that was to happen at a DRI resort they would be off the site and out of the club.
If your circumstances change to such a great extent you can still sell the points but you will never get your total outlay back yes it might only be to other members but hopefully you would have had some good holidays for your money.
One last point i am writing from experience of being a member of GVC/Sunttera/DRI and enjoying good holidays with them we have 2 booked this year with a chance of a third,what i would hate to see is a young couple with kids like we were when we joined miss out on the opportunity's of great holidays.

Barry
kingdobe

Postby COXAN56 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi I am with Barry on this. Points work for us. Things seem to be improving so things can only get better.

I have had points for 5 years and never had a holiday I didnt like

Annie
COXAN56

Postby stez_2 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 14:09 pm

Also a Diamond member - points work for us had them since 2004 we realise that we will get more benefit from them when we retire and have the flexibility you dont have when working.
stez_2

Postby j4tfoi on Thu Feb 28, 2008 17:43 pm

We have just been to a presentation and signed up for the three year trial membership. Looking at the posts here Diamond Resorts/Sunterra used to operate on a points system, but we were sold weeks, namely 9 over the three years. It sounded like a good deal for us, as we have 2 teenage kids and we want to spend some holidays in the UK and also long haul destinations, and they are expensive. The one thing that worries me about all this is the availability, especially as we have to go in school holidays at the moment. I'd like some honest advice before booking the preview holiday, because if it is a problem we'll cancel.
j4tfoi

Next

Return to Timeshare & Holiday Clubs