Vaccinations and Health

Discussions on Tunisia

Postby Georgia on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:57 am

Hi, We are contemplating taking a holiday in Tunisia and wondered if there was a need to have any vaccinations and if the food was safe (e.g. fruit, milk) especially in 5* hotels? We have two children aged 7 & 5. Many Thanks
Georgia

Postby leeann on Fri Mar 11, 2005 16:43 pm

Hello again!
Ive never had any vaccinations for Tunisia and ive been about 20 times since I was little.
Give all fruit a good wash or even peel the skin off, dont drink tap water or ice and the milk is fine. Ooh and wouldnt advise buying any food from vendors on the road side.
I would take a bottle or tablets just incase for the 'Tunisian Belly' there's always someone who gets an upset stomach.
Bye for now
Leeann
leeann

Postby mark.a.s. on Fri Mar 11, 2005 18:50 pm

You should all be okay as long as you wash all fruit in bottled water, brush teeth in bottled water and watch the salads! tell the children not to swallow too much pool water. Also no ice cubes in drinks. Ice cream should be okay but be careful.

We were told horror stories before we went a few years ago but our then four year old and us were fine.

Enjoy.....

Mark and Jo
mark.a.s.

Postby CarolG on Fri Mar 11, 2005 20:54 pm

If you are worried about the children then best checking with your GP re health issues.

With regard to upset tummys, the majority are caused by drinking very cold drinks and ice cream, hence the reason no ice in drinks. Always wait until the chill is off the drinks before giving them to the children, same goes for adults. This is the main cause of upset tummies on holiday! Your system cannot cope with the two extremes in temperature, extremely hot outside and freezing cold drinks inside! Result - extremely sore tummy!!!

Have a great time I am sure you will all be well!
CarolG

Postby georgeone on Sat Apr 02, 2005 19:38 pm

"Hi, We are contemplating taking a holiday in Tunisia and wondered if there was a need to have any vaccinations and if the food was safe (e.g. fruit, milk) especially in 5* hotels? We have two children aged 7 & 5. Many Thanks" --- Georgia

hello there , we are going to Tunisia in May and we were advised to get vaccinated for Hepatitus C and Tyhpoid ... this seems to be a reasonable safety measure....have a nice holiday , Georgeone. :) :thumleft:
georgeone

Postby leanne dawn on Mon Apr 04, 2005 18:30 pm

never had any injections when i went but managed to get the trotts. if you are worried try masta www.masta.org . they will sent you a list of diseases you could probably catch. the food we had was nearly always undercooked. we were told it was that way because it had a french influence?
leanne dawn

Postby georgeone on Sat Apr 16, 2005 18:28 pm

hello again , we have booked for Tunisia and now I have the tickets and a holiday info book from the agents it says,,,,
Vacinations....none required but polio,tetanus,typhoid and hepatitis A. recommended....yellow fever vacination if arriving from infected areas.
so what ever you decide to do have a nice time , I will send a report about Tunisia when we return,,,,and hope it is all good....G.
georgeone

Postby pembo2004 on Sun Apr 17, 2005 19:23 pm

hi guys

we are going in tunisia for the 5th time in october i would strongly advise to always have Vaccinations six weeks before you go
pembo2004

Postby mellymel07 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 17:02 pm

Hello, my husband and i are taking our daughter grace who will be 14 months old then to tunisia next october. Do you think that we may have made a mistake booking to gho there? Any advice would be appreciated, phil and i have been before and grace's health visitor has confirmed that she will be fine. Thank you very much.
mellymel07

Postby Essem on Thu Dec 20, 2007 20:33 pm

Hi, Tunisia is very family friendly and the Tunisians just love children. I think you have made an excellent choice.
Essem

Return to Tunisia Forum