• 5 food
  • 3.5 cleanliness
  • 5 location

15 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog

Excellent value for money

Good
by
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

"We had to wait 20 minutes to check in as they were short staffed but Hannah was amazing throughout our stay, she couldn't have been more helpful. Loved the room, bed clean and comfortable, bathroom and towels clean but very dusty skirting boards and could have done with a Hoover. All in all though, pleased with the room. Food was pleasant and very good value for money. Hilariously sloping floors, would definitely stay again. Bourton on the Water is a gorgeous place with plenty to do for a weekend if you don't want to use your car during your stay."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Thu 1st of November 2018

Rating breakdown

• 5 Location
  • 4 Room
  • 4 Service
  • 4 Dining
  • 4 Amenities
  • 5 Value
  • 4 Food
  • 3 Cleanliness

Perfect Location in Little Venice

Average
by
Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Having read a few of the reviews on this website I was a little concerned about what to expect however the Old Manse was perfect for our needs. The bed room (5) was small but clean, had only terrestrial channels on the TV and strangely included the hand basin.

Upon seeing the bathroom I could see why the basin was in the main room as again this was small, tired looking and the shower curtain could have done with being replaced. The shower though was first rate, powerful and good temperature.

The breakfast was classic English with mini boxes of cereal and yoghurts on offer followed by full English or Kippers. Fried breakfast was adequate, nothing special and clearly I was classified as 'high risk of heart disease' as the billed Fried slice was missing.

The pub that the hotel was located in was fine and quiet, frequented by few locals following the recent decison of the pub to ban smoking.

But then you don't go to Bourton on the Water to stay in your hotel and this is where the Old Manse comes into it's own, it's perfectly located on the River, in the central part of the village and for £50 for a double room I'm not sure what else you can expect or want..

If you want a really good hotel and prepared to pay additional money then the Dial House is probably the best place to go but if you want to save upwards of £50 then the Old Manse does a decent job"

Holiday details

• Travel date: Wed 6th of September 2006

cosy hotel

Good
by
Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Decided to stay here after an average night in the old new inn located up the road. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Spontaneoulsy offered a £45 discount for the windrush suite on a bank holiday weekend! Would not have paid any more for this room.

Comfy 4 poster bed, and with an en suite jacuzzi. Floor was a bit creaky and the room was quite dark in general. Good english breakfast and service with a smile."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sun 28th of May 2006

Excellent service

Brilliant
by
Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"My sister and I visited at the beginning of April and initially were disappointed with our room in the Old Manse Cottage, mainly because of the very small shower/toilet room. After the usual superb Old English breakfast we spoke to the Manager, who immediately apologised, agreed with no discussion that the accommodation was inappropriate for us (it had been booked via central reservations) and offered us a choice of rooms for the second night, one of which was the Windrush Suite (it included a four poster bed).

We were delighted with this speedy resolution to our concerns (our bags were taken direct to the suite) and thoroughly enjoyed our second night with a view over the water. The jacuzzi in the spacious bathroom more than made up for the cramped first night and we have nothing but praise for the friendly service we received.

The location is superb and it was particularly delightful to be able to walk around Bourton on the Water in the early morning and evening when all the crowds had gone."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Tue 11th of April 2006

Simply horrendous!

Awful
by
Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"This is a dreadful hotel, where customer service (as far as the hotel manager is concerned) is non-existent. Were it not for the beauty of Bourton-on-the-Water, our weekend break would have been ruined.

After a 2 hour drive we arrived at the hotel to discover that we could not park in the hotel carpark. We consequently had to park on the outskirts of the village and walk back the hotel. On the basis that the hotel advertises free parking I asked the manager if he would pick up the parking bill we had incurred as a result of being forced to park in a public car park. Considering that this only came to £3 I assumed there would be no problem and I only made this request on principle. The manager flatly refused and showed absolutely no concern for the inconvenience this caused us. We had only been in the Cotswolds for five minutes and I had already had a row with the hotel manager - our weekend away had gotten off to a bad start. Because my car could not remain in the same spot for more than 3 consecutive hours I had to frequently stop whatever I was doing to relocate it - this meant that I had to drive to a restaurant that evening instead of getting a taxi. As a result I could not drink - which seriously impacted a fabulous meal at the Lower Slaughter Manor (which we will stay at when we return to the Cotswolds).

However, our problems with the Old Manse Hotel had only just begun. Our room - costing £100 per night - was awful - we were kept awake by very noisy plumbing all night long and the decor was vile. Also, the bedroom was smaller than the en-suite - which was rather bizarre! We noticed later on that the hotel/pub next-door was offering rooms, superior in quality to those at the Old Manse at half the price - a deal we seriously considered taking up were it not for the fact that the Old Manse already had our credit card details.

On our second day there, whilst standing in the foyer my girlfriend and I got an impromptu shower – thanks to a pipe that had burst in the ceiling. The staff seemed unconcerned by the fact that this leak was dangerously close to a ceiling light - no doubt it fused the electrics shortly afterwards - needless to say we left early and will never return to the Old Manse.

However, Bourton-on-the-water is a lovely place and we will definitely return."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of March 2006

lovely setting

Average
by
Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"setting of the hotel was lovely.
could have done with updating,felt it was more of a pub hotel.room had a 4 poster bed which sheets didnt fit properly.floor boards were really creaky got on my nerves over two days.found it dark mainly because of the canopy over the bed,very hard to read.bathroom had corner bath overhead shower,
Thought they could have added a few luxuries, like biscuits,shower gel,fruit,bath robes.
view out of the windows was very nice over looking the river with the ducks,but being at the front of the hotel you were over the bar and you got the noise from down stairs doors banging,people outside talking.breakfast was average.didnt have a meal in the hotel at night visited other resturants.staff some were pleasant enough,found the waitresses were ignorant,bar staff okay so long as you were spending.i would stay in bourton on the water again but not at this hotel,we had a good deal with our booking otherwise i would have definatley asked for some money back. 4 out of 10."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Fri 27th of January 2006

Good location but do not be deceived!

Poor
by
Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Two nights spent at the Manse with a group of friends, 10 in total.

Rooms basic but clean. Bathrooms adequate in some but very small in others. Showers are powerful but the cubicles are the smallest possible in some rooms and give the impression that they have been squeezed in.

Quality of food acceptable but nothing too exciting. Attitude of staff in the restaurant varied from excellent and couldn`t do enough to down right surley and miserable. As for the management, great disappointment in this area. Attitudes varied between average to unhelpfulness.

A major disappointment was the Hotel bar. This was more akin to a High Street Pub, patronised more by the general public leaving little or no room for a group of residents to sit and enjoy each others company. There is no night keeper, therefore everything closes down at 11.30pm with no facilities for residents to be served after this time.

Considering the room charge of £105 for B & B, it was felt that value for money was not achieved. I have stayed in many Hotels for less and received far better service. I suspect this hotel has seen better times and feel that the attitute of the management is one of complacency - a great shame."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sat 24th of September 2005

Pleasant enough

Average
by
Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Booked a very good deal here via the internet so sayed on the Saturday night of a weekend tour of the Cotswolds. We were spoiled in our Friday night choice (Nelsons Arms- Chipping Campden) and so this was a little disappointing. It was pleasant enough, right on the main street with the river running past.
The standard room was very small and dark, even with lights on it was difficult to read. The room was however clean and tidy with the usual toiletries etc. One nice touch was a gift package of fudge from a local shop.

We decided to dine outside the hotel as the menu did not tempt us, so we booked into the Dial's hotel and restaurant for a meal, which is more or less opposite. The service here was first class and although we did not see the bedrooms, the lounge and dining room were small and intimate and very relaxing. The meal was expensive, but if you are looking to indulge yourself it's vey nice to feel so spoilt (canapes are served with drinks in the lounge beforehand). We were the only british dining there, the Americans must have had heard great reviews to have all booked there!

Back at the Old Manse, breakfast was ok, but nothing special, although the staff were very friendly. If I'd paid full price I would have been disappointed, but as it was a bargain price I cannot really complain."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sat 4th of June 2005

The Main Reason To Stay Here...

Good
by
Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"...The main reason to stay here would most certainly have to be the beautiful setting. Bourton-on-the-Water is about as quaint, serene and picturesque as Cotswold villages come. We spent the final night of our UK visit here, and had a lovely stay. The basic double room was just that--"basic"--maybe a bit small and dated (a very "rural" feel?), but very clean, with good furnishings, nice bath (sink basin in outer room near foot of bed), modern tv, and a little tray with teabags and a couple snack packages of cookies. The only things that came close to being called "problems" were a somewhat creaky floor, and the window in need of stripping/repainting, as the old paint would chip and flake off on opening and closing it. The staff, though maybe a bit distant, were efficient and very helpful, going out of their way to arrange for taxis and safe-keeping of our bags both before and after our stay. Had dinner in the more formal "restaurant" area which was very nice, but the pub food menu in the bar had us wishing we'd gone that route. English breakfast was super, fresh and filling. All in all, a lovely way to finish a holiday, and some fond memories to bring home."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Thu 7th of October 2004

A lovely hotel in a great position

Good
by
Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We stayed here in May 2004. The room although not large was immaculate with a very large bed.

The breakfast was delicious - freshly cooked to order with a wide choice of items.

The delights of Bourton on the Water are litteraly outside the door. Perfect for a stroll after dinner.

We ate in the bar and the food was delicious as was the beer!

A lovely hotel which I can thoroughly recommend."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sun 16th of May 2004

A stay at the Old Manse

Brilliant
by
Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"I stayed at the Old Manse and had a great weekend. The reception we received was excellent and the hotel itself was lovely. It is'nt a big hotel but a very friendly atmosphere. Sometime that is just what you need. The food was excellent and the location is good too. It is based in a small town with Birdland down the road - this makes a good day out if you like Penguins, flamingo's and emus...
It is very picturesque place with a few hotels, restaurants and shops around.
Would be no.1 on my recommendations for a quiet break for two in the UK."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Wed 13th of March 2002

Family Reunion

Brilliant
by
Reviewed Tue 1st of April 2014

"We recently held a family reunion at the Old Manse Hotel, 11 of us stayed overnight and 4 joined us for dinner on the Saturday night. We were all had comfortable rooms, thought the meals excellent value and were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We were all agreed that we want to stay there again next year. Our only criticism was that the car-park was a bit on the small side. "

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sat 29th of March 2014

Rating breakdown

• 5 Location
  • 4 Room
  • 5 Service
  • 5 Value
  • 5 Food
  • 4 Cleanliness

Hotels near Old Manse Hotel

Stayed at Old Manse Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Old Manse Hotel

• Teresa G by Teresa G

"Check other places to eat and realize what a gem The Old Manse is. "

• Teresa G by Teresa G

"Check other places to eat and realize what a gem The Old Manse is. "

• summer by summer

"Eat in the restaurant - great service and good value for money "

• Margaret G by Margaret G

"A beautiful area with lovely quirky shops "

Old Manse Hotel is also called

• Hotel Old Manse

Similar hotels around Old Manse Hotel