• 3.5 service
  • 4.5 dining
  • 3.5 amenities
  • 4.5 value
  • 4 food
  • 4.5 cleanliness
  • 5 location

14 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog

This is the place to stay after shopping at Meadowhall, sheffield after a busy day !

Brilliant
by
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

"A great friendly place ,the room had every thing we needed and the bed was comfy,room was big and the hotel in general was very very clean. Location was a stone throw away from Meadowhall shopping centre and train station a 10 minute walk from the hotel. It was Good value for money £60 for the night that included breakfast.We are both very well travelled and said it was one of the best hotels we have stayed in and it felt like a family ran business ,they could not do enough for us ."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Thu 1st of November 2018

Rating breakdown

• 5 Location
  • 5 Room
  • 5 Service
  • 5 Dining
  • 4 Amenities
  • 5 Value
  • 5 Cleanliness

shocked and disappointed

Awful
by
Reviewed 1 month ago

"Just one thing to say about this hotel incompetent my partner and myself stayed there on November 2nd 2018 we were getting ready to go to a function in Sheffield my partner had just got out of the shower and was in the process of drying herself in the room when the door opened and stood there was a man who had been booked in to our room to say she was shocked was an underestatement I went straight down to reception and asked how this could happen i was given no explanation but was offered a free breakfast as if that could make it alright which I declined won't be staying here again"

Holiday details

• Travel date: Thu 1st of November 2018

Rating breakdown

• 5 Location
  • 4 Room
  • 1 Service
  • 3 Amenities
  • 4 Value
  • 4 Cleanliness

Better than expected

Good
by
Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Stayed here in August for the U2 concert. Very happy with this hotel. Booked Purple Hotel and was worried when I discovered it had been taken over by Travelodge. Was pleasantly surprised though. There was a discrepancy regarding the price of the room upon check-in, but this was sorted immediately in a professional manner. Unlike the previous reviewer, I found the staff to be friendly, polite and helpful. Great location for shopping in meadowhall - though it was a bit of a walk back from Don Valley Stadium after concert! Rooms spacious and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again!"

Holiday details

• Travel date: Fri 4th of September 2009

Could be a good hotel

Average
by
Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I stayed here for a few nights with family in early August and understand that the hotel has recently been re branded to Travelodge. The rooms were of a good size and reasonably clean although the towels in the bathroom smelt as though they had not been washed and we were glad we had brought our own.
The position of the Hotel is ideal if you want to go shopping at the superb Meadowhall Shopping Centre and quite convenient for Sheffield itself.
The hotel has recently joined the Travelodge brand and although they have made some changes there are problems with this hotel. over the two days our party stayed on numerous occasions keys to rooms failed to work, in some cases having to be reprogrammed up to three times at reception before prople could get into their rooms and in one case the key had to be replaced.
This and other problems could have been made less of an issue if the staff had not been so miserable. even though customers were continually needing to return again and again to reception to gain access to their rooms there was no attempt by staff to do anything but reswipe the key and say it was your problem get on with it where they could have tried to be more friendly and helpful even just to accompany customers who needed to keep going up and down again and again.
The biggest let down was the staff who were sour faced and not at all friendly. I have visited many Travelodge around the country and the one thing that can make the difference between good and bad if the staff, this hotel failed simply because of this. and the technical problems."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sat 29th of August 2009

Good location.

Good
by
Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"I have stayed in many Travelodges without complaint and this is no exception.
Good clean rooms, nice plasma TV. Nice bathroom with large shower.
Excellent location both for Meadowhall shopping and using the tram (best way to travel round Sheffield) into Sheffield city centre and its two football grounds.
Nice change to have a cooked breakfast option (on the pricey side) and bar for drinks and food in the evening."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Tue 4th of August 2009

Superb value

Brilliant
by
Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We chose this hotel based on having been happy with other hotels in the Travelodge chain, and this fitted our requirements for location and price (double room for £35). It could do with a bit more signage, because it's a bit hidden away if you're not familiar with the area - and the roads around the Meadowhall centre. But when you get to it....what a gem!

It's a huge building - much larger than most other Travelodges. Apparently the building opened in November 08 as a 'Purple' brand hotel (newly built) - they went into administration two months later and Travelodge bought the building, hence why it doesn't have the usual Travelodge decor/layout.

Good size car park, and even at gone midnight a friendly receptionist. Got to our room which was a really good size, with very modern decor - but a warm, cosy and welcoming feel. Huge bed, plenty of hanging space, flat screen TV, tea/coffee making facilities and a small but modern bathroom with a lovely spacious shower. Bed was incredibly comfy and despite how close the hotel is to the M1, there's very little noise from it - even with the window open a crack for airflow! Infact I'm just sorry we had so little time to enjoy it, having arrived so late then leaving at 9am the following morning."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Fri 24th of July 2009

Absolute bargain

Good
by
Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I travelled to the hotel by tram and had a 2 minute walk from Meadowhall interchange station. I am not sure if I would have been happy to walk in the dark. The car park looks a reasonable size but the traffic in this area looks very bad.
As I had paid for my room at the time of booking check in was very quick. I got a saver rate of £19 room only. I asked if I could borrow a hair dryer at reception and the lady got me one straight away. I was offered to book breakfast for the following morning for £7.50 but I knew I would not have time.
The room was brilliant, newly refurbished and what I would expect from a stylish boutique hotel. The carpet was deep pile and soft - strange thing to note I know but it is worth a mention.
Modern bathroom with a large shower cubilce. There wasn't a bath but I prefer that.
The bed was very comfrtable and there was plenty of hanging space.
Tea and coffee making facilities and a flat screen tv. It took me 10 minutes to find the on/off button on top of it but it was fine after that. There is no telephone in the room.
There was wi-fi but i didn't see how much it was.
There is a hotel bar and restaurant and the prices looked reasonable. I think you can order food downstairs but have it in your room.
Meadowhall is a 5-10 minute walk via the station and a walkway, as i said I am not sure I would like to walk around the area on my own in the dark.
There is alot of traffic outside the hotel and cetainly no views to look at but the windows are excellent at keeping the noise out and there is air conditioning.
The tram is about 20 minutes into the city centre.
I would recommend this hotel especially for the price, even the rack rate is good. You know what to expect with a Travelodge and this is a good one."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sun 12th of July 2009

Brand new and very clean and quiet

Brilliant
by
Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"After a long journey from glasgow and a 4 hour survey of a nearby premises, I was knackered and delighted with my accommodation in this new hotel. Check in was fast and I was delighted to get a room that was at the end of the corridor (no rooms on the headboard side although they have a shelving system so that the headboard is almost 300mm off the wall which gives extra acoustic value).

The room was plush with good quality carpet, Good TV and a fantastic shower. Downpoints were lack of power points to simultaneously plug in laptop, and phone charger .

Had such a great sleep I missed the expensive £7.50 breakfast I'd prepaid and had to go to Sainsbury's up the road for their fantastic £2.50 brekkie deal.

I'd really recommend this to business travellers as it is extremeley quiet and the bed and pillows are great. Well done Travelodge!"

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sat 4th of July 2009

Good Stay

Good
by
Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I stayted at this hotel because we were going to a concert at the Sheffield Arena, it was very close by public transport on the supertram.

Luckly on the Sunday before going on the Tuesday, went to check my reservation on Purple Hotels and dicovered they are no longer operating. I then phoned the hotel and found it was a Travelodge and that my previous reservation didn't exist. So lucklily I checked and made a new reservation online.

On arrival, the staff were very helpful and the hotel was very new. The room was very nice and comfortable. We had breakfast and that was OK, the average Travelodge breakfast.

The Arena is around 2 or 3 stops on the supertram and you get off for the Don Valley Stadium/Arena.

I would stay here again."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sun 31st of May 2009

Be aware - is now a Travelodge!

Good
by
Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We booked this hotel in December 2008 online when it was a Purple Hotel, it had recently opened and came highly recommended by family members who had stayed here. The cost of a booking for one night was £69. The purpose of our booking was a night's stay as we were attending a concert at Sheffield Arena.

Upon our arrival on the 13th May I was a tad taken aback to find that the hotel was now no longer called the Purple Hotel, but is in fact now Travelodge Sheffield Meadowhall. What annoyed me the most was the sign outside that mentioned rooms available for £29. This was queried at check in and the hotel has apparently just been re branded.

A quick check online found that I could get the same room that day for £44. This was discussed with the duty manager who stated that we should have received some form of communication to notify us that the change had taken place. When I booked online I gave my email address, telephone number and home address but no contact was made. If we had been notified the option would have been open to us to cancel our booking. If we had wanted to stay at a Travelodge, I would've booked a Travelodge. That is not meant as a slight to Travelodge; as it happened the hotel was very nice, but it is the principle. In the end the very helpful duty manager agreed with our point of view and we paid £44 for our stay.

Having pointed this out, it is only right and proper to say that the hotel is very nice, there is plenty of parking available and the car park is well covered by CCTV. The hotel is pretty modern in it's design and the bedroom very roomy with an extremely comfortable bed. There is a large shower room (no bath) and everything was spotless.

It is ideally located for Meadowhall, the interchange and shopping centre being literally a five minute walk away. Transport to Sheffield Arena is easy, just hop on a tram at Meadowhall Interchange.

On the whole then, a very nice hotel, but if you've booked expecting it to be a Purple Hotel, it isn't!"

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sun 17th of May 2009

Very good value for money

Good
by
Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"I stayed at the Travelodge for a week due to business in the Meadowhall area.
After a long trip from Scotland I finally got to the reception and was greeted by a friendly team. After a few problems with my door opening I eventually settled into my double room. The room was spacious, spotless and with a plasma screen and desk. The shower was clean and there was a A/C-Heating system which was great, but a bit noisy when trying to sleep.

I only ate in the hotel at dinner on the first night (due to the fact that I was working until 10pm and the restaurant stops serving food at 10pm) After being told that most items on the menu were sold out I went for a cheese & tomato pizza. At £5 it was value for money and a decent size. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly.

My only gribes would be that my card for my door kept playing up, so I found myself constantly having to go to reception to activate it which became annoying. One morning while just out of the shower housekeeping just walked in without knocking at 8.30am which I found very rude.

The breakfast was a big let-down. Scrambled eggs, mushrooms (which tasted as though they were tinned) sausages, bacon and tinned plum tomatoes plus a cold buffet. The food was cold and tasteless and the apple juice was just coloured water in my opinion.

I would recommend the food court in Meadowhall which is much cheaper for breakfast.

Overall I enjoyed my stay very much, the hotel is faultless, however give the breakfast a miss."

Holiday details

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of May 2009

Clean comfortable and convenient - but give breakfast a miss!

Good
by
Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Stayed here for a business meeting in Sheffield and was generally really impressed.

Recently opened, the hotel is just by the side of M1 J34 and adjacent to the Meadowhall Shopping Centre and its train, tram and bus station, which offers regular fast services into central Sheffield and, by tram, to the Sheffield Arena. You can leave your car at the hotel and save a packet on parking.

Rooms are modern, smart, clean and very comfortable - one of the best beds I've ever slept in, in fact! For the £49 room only rate I paid, I consider the accomodation to be well above average standard for a budget hotel. Much comfier than a Travelodge or Ibis and about on a level / a bit more so than Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express.

The service was unremarkable but the only real fly in the ointment was the quality of the food served at breakfast. Cheap, ultra-thin toasting bread, watery orange juice and yukky long life yoghurtsmade it seem pricey at £5 - and that was a 'book-the-night-before' offer, I'd have felt mugged had I paid the full rate of £8.95. On the breakfast front , Premier Inn would win hands down.

Overall - worth a try. But wander over to Meadowhall's food court for breakfast, maybe?"

Holiday details

• Travel date: Tue 24th of March 2009

Hotels near Travelodge Sheffield Meadowhall Hotel

Stayed at Travelodge Sheffield Meadowhall Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Travelodge Sheffield Meadowhall Hotel

• Caz by Caz

"Now we know standard is good at the hotel, we would stay longer the next time and book 2 nights instead of one we enjoyed our stay so much. "

• shocked by shocked

"I would advise people to avoid this hotel as I'm sure this will happen again "

Similar hotels around Travelodge Sheffield Meadowhall Hotel