Fancy A Cruise?

Cruise

Postby HW tenpin on Fri Sep 12, 2008 15:49 pm

Hi Rocco,

You need to start looking now if you must have a balcony, these are the first cabins to go. There may be a few left later on but they tend to up-grade earlier bookings when selling last minute deals.

Buy the Saturday Daily Mail, which will give you some idea of prices, not much to chose between the different lines now regarding prices, but if you like Italian then some really great deals are available from Costa via Virgin Holidays.

Once you have decided where and when, look at companies like Gills cruises, 1st4cruising and cruisedeals and phone them with price and ask if they can beat it. Quite often they will or offer small up-grade or wine deals.

Good Luck, come in most days if you need any further help.
Cruising is like 'Being in the Garden of Eating'

Cruise-Forum.html

Link to cruise forum
HW tenpin

Postby Hils on Fri Sep 19, 2008 18:06 pm

Hi Tenpin, long time no speak! We are thinking of going on a med cruise next September for two weeks. I know I can look at reviews but what are your thoughts on Royal Caribbean vs P & O? Also is it better to book now or at the last minute bearing in mind the economic situation might alter things later on.
Your wide range of cruising experience would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Hils

Postby HW tenpin on Fri Sep 19, 2008 20:38 pm

Hi Hils,

Bit biased towards P&O don’t like them that much, bit stuffy for my taste.

RC are doing a few cruises in the Med early September, but as a first cruise I would give Princess a try, the Grand, Ruby, Crown and Emerald are all in the ‘Med until late Sept/November. Some of these sail from Southampton on some cruises, which coupled with free parking, offer great value for money.

We have just been on the Grand and go again next June on her; it’s a lovely ship with wonderful food, also done the Ruby same class also very nice.

When selecting a cruise your first consideration should be the Itinerary, then the ship.

If you can handle four or five languages being spoken, then Costa are offering some truly remarkable prices.

Cruise-Forum.html

Link to cruise forum
HW tenpin

Postby bhupabhupa on Sat Oct 04, 2008 06:35 am

I have a big dream to spend time on a Cruise. But the expenses to travel on a cruise are very high. Right know I can not effort it. But one day I will definitely be on a Cruise.

===========

bhupa
bhupabhupa

Postby HW tenpin on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:51 pm

It is some years since I first wrote about Cruising and now the whole scene has changed, according to one report there are now over 270 cruise ships looking for your money.
But, more importantly the value of the pound has dramatically dropped and you must be aware of the cost of onboard prices. Where before both Dollar based (American) and Euro based (European) ships were good value, today that is not the case, take one glass of wine, this time last year the price was E 4.75 & $ 5.50 these are now roughly 4 pound plus a glass.
So now we must look at the price of the cruise on these ships, against sailing on P&O, Thomson, OV, and Fred Olsen, which still charge in sterling.
But, don’t get to taken in by some of the dangers of worrying about cost, the average bar bill for us is £450, that’s just drinks, that will now become about £600, but if you can pick up a cruise that is discounted by 50% then it might even itself out.

So now it is important that we look at the overall cost of cruising, the British market plays a large part in all Med cruises, and somehow they have got to sell those places, so now I expect British prices for Med and indeed Caribbean cruises to drop, so look out for great last minute deals, about £60 per day can be expected for late deals. As the crunch bites do expect plenty of on-board credit and other bonuses.

Cruising is still the cheapest way to holiday, given that apart from drinks everything else is included, just be careful and selective, with whom you cruise with.

Go enjoy your Cruise

Cruise-Forum.html

Link to cruise forum
HW tenpin

Postby HW tenpin on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:52 pm

One of the worst things about giving advise on a Cruise forum is that ships change very quickly, due to the 52 weeks of the year they are heavily abused by the very people who will complain about slipping standards.
Towels, bed linen, carpets, bathroom ******, public places do not destroy themselves, while the first two can be replaced reasonably quickly, the remainder must wait for the refurbishment date. Dining rooms and the buffet areas also are subject to rapid changes. The crew does sterling work on all areas of the ship, often unseen, while we are sleeping.
So this type of holiday forum does play an important part in your holiday plans. Ask your questions and read the latest reviews.

Cruising is really just like everyday life, when it comes to making that selection. It is fairly obvious that the more modern the ship the less likely it has yet deteriorated, while the older ships do get run down faster. Do try the more luxurious, more up market lines, change lines to find out the differences, (I love a week in the Costa’s, but also its nice to try Sandals in St Lucia)

Prices do not always reflect your cruise experience, I have cruised with most lines, but of late the price between the top end cruise ships and the lower end of the market has evened out. A £100 difference can move you onto a luxury ship.

One other thing to consider when selecting a cruise are whom you fly with, scheduled flights with big Airlines are standard with some lines. The choice of up grading to better seats on long haul or extra legroom on most can be a factor.
Tipping should also be looked at, is it included, is it compulsory, how much is it?. This really is important with families of four or more, as these charges can be heavy.

Enjoy your cruise whatever the ship.

Cruise-Forum.html

Link to cruise forum
HW tenpin

Postby ptrjakson on Wed Jan 27, 2010 21:35 pm

Looking for some information on Cruise come across this thread great informative thread.Good work keep it up.
ptrjakson

Previous

Return to Cruise Lines